Welcome to Ocean Light Zen Center. We are the Seattle chapter of the Kwan Um School of Zen, a tradition that originated in China more than 1500 years ago, travelled to Korea and was brought to the US by Zen Master Seung Sahn in the 1960’s. Our school now has more than 100 Zen centers around the world, all practicing the same ancient and beautiful chanting, sitting, walking, and other meditation forms.
We offer Zen practice every Sunday morning 9am – 11am at the Fauntleroy Schoolhouse – 9131 California Ave SW in West Seattle.
2016 Calendar at a Glance
Weekly Zen Practice
Every Sunday – Regular practice at 9:00 am
Kong-an interviews with Tim Lerch JPDSN on the 2nd & 4th Sunday of every month
Weekly practice is always at the Fauntleroy Schoolhouse – 9131 California Ave SW in West Seattle
Compass of Zen Discussion Group
Second Thursday of each month from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Locations rotate. Please join our email list to find out where we meet each month.
- Jan 14 Introducing the Compass of Zen Handbook
- Feb 11 History of Kwan Um Zen
- Mar 10 Heart Sutra
- Apr 14 Four Noble Truths
- May 10 Three Insights of Hinayana Buddhism
- Jun 9 Diamond Sutra
- Jul 14 The Zen Circle
- Aug 11 What is Karma?
- Sep 8 Demystifying the Kong-an
- Oct 13 Four Great Vows
- Nov 10 The Human Route
- Dec 8 Great Doubt, Faith, and Courage
Zen Meditation Retreats
- Feb TBA One day retreat – 9 am to 3 pm
- May TBA One day retreat – 9 am to 3 pm
- Oct TBA Two-day retreat – 6 am Saturday to 3 pm Sunday
- Apr 24 Buddha’s birthday –10 am following regular practice
- Dec 4 Buddha’s enlightenment –10 am following regular practice